Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Quick Recovery Update--More Tomorrow

She's better. So-sweet Jen was right--I left a message for the vet this morning, and when she called back late in the morning and listened to all that was going on here, she immediately said, "Let's get her some more meds for the pain and the nausea." Brandi zoomed off to the vet's office (I'm still desperately trying to meet a deadline amid all this, so Brandi worked from home today to help out) for three medicine-filled syringes--one for pain, one for nausea, and one antibiotic--and Mabel took the shots like a champ, not even flinching (I, predictably, did flinch--I am obviously not the one who actually gives shots around here; Chance needs them every other week, and I just can't do it). An hour later, Mabel was getting up and walking around for short bits at a time, and with the pain and nausea apparently under control, her appetite returned. Watching her eat, seeing her tail wag, and getting her to go down into the yard without having to drag her out of her bed--all of that brought much relief and lots of smiles. She's still a little slower than usual, and she's not as happy and overly affectionate as usual (though she still graced us with a couple instances of face-licking this afternoon and evening), but that's to be expected--she's going to need more than one day to recover. Possible emotional stuff aside, this wasn't a simple or easy surgery, and Mabel's body has been through a lot (the substantial puppy complication aside, I think people tend to forget that even a standard spay isn't a minor matter--it's so routine and recommended that its status as a full-fledged organ removal, a hysterectomy plus removal of the ovaries, isn't always kept in mind). But when, this evening, she started drinking water again and a couple times wandered over to the side of the deck to bark, like usual, at passersby, I knew she was going to be all right.

I so love this dog.

4 comments:

Eat. Poop. Play said...

Hi Stephanie
I love Mable's page and enjoyed your recent article in the Vital Voice.

It is so great to hear from people like yourself who realize that pit bulls are like any other breed (only better) and like all dogs require training, socialing and a whole lot of love.

I hope Mable finds a deserving forever home!

Stephanie E. said...

Thanks for the supportive words. I admire the work you're doing out in Seattle!

Lisa S. said...

I think people tend to forget that even a standard spay isn't a minor matter

When I had laproscopic surgery for the removal of several endomertrial cysts, it took me 8 days to recover. I was told I'd be back on my feet in 24 hours & could go back to work in 48. Well... it wasn't that simple and all they did was get inside me w/some scopes & cut out some stuff. I can't imagine what it's like to have the full hysterectomy (something that looms like a dark cloud in my future...) AND not know what's going on.

Mabel is doing great & she's lucky to have such loving fosters.

Stephanie E. said...

Ugh, I'm sorry you went through that, Lisa. I feel really lucky that I've never had to have any kind of surgery. And you're exactly right--one of the worst parts of Mabel's surgery and the days immediately following it was knowing that she had no idea what had happened to her or why. But she's getting better now. She really, really is.

Thanks. :)